Přečtěte si učební texty jazykové úrovně „Falešní začátečníci“, které zahrnuji do výuky. Jejich primárním zdrojem jsou důvěryhodná online média z anglosaských zemí nebo České republiky. Učební texty převážně zachycují aktuální nebo historické události. Tvůrcem učebních textů je bilingvní mluvčí Jan Feldstein. Každý učební text je také opatřen audio nahrávkou, která je namluvena rodilou mluvčí z USA, Courtney Rivas. Přeji Vám příjemné čtení a poslech!
CZECH FASHION LEGEND
3. 12. 2018Seniors love to visit exhibitions. One of them is about Hana Podolská, the Czech fashion legend. Let’s read more about her charming personality, life and the place where the exhibition takes place.
26. 11. 2018Every last Thursday the USA celebrates Thanksgiving Day. It’s a special holiday for Americans. Let’s read more about the history and a special meal that is served on this celebration.
A NEW FILM: KING OF THIEVES
21. 11. 2018This is an invitation to Prague cinema and see a new film „King of Thieves“. The plot is about retired gentlemen who broke into a jewelery shop in London. It’s based on a true story.
CZECH WAR HERO
9. 11. 2018Seniors like to read about historical events. And because we celebrate the 100th anniversary of the foundation of the Czechoslovak Republic, there is one interesting news about Josef František, the Czech war hero of Great Britain.
5. 11. 2018Seniors love to go mushrooming. Despite the mushrooming season has slowly been ending, there are still many mushrooms growing in the mountains. This study text also depicts British and Irish people’s attitude to mushrooms. I hope you’ll find it interesting and inspiring.
WHAT IS HALLOWEEN?
24. 10. 2018Halloween is very popular in the USA and it can’t be missed at my English courses for seniors. But what is the origin of Halloween? Read more about it just here.
THE REAL ROBIN HOOD
15. 10. 2018Robin Hood is always a popular topic to read about also among seniors. Let’s have a look at historical background of this hero and the Robin Hood festival that is organized every year in Nottingham.
ALASKA DAY – OCTOBER 18
8. 10. 2018Seniors love reading about historical events. On October 18 America celebrates Alaska Day. Read more about it here and listen to its audio recording.
A HOLE IN THE SPACE STATION
1. 10. 2018The space is a specific topic but still favourite among seniors. This study text depicts a current event that happened in the laboratory of the ISS. Let’s read more about it.
A New Film About Villa Tugendhat
24. 9. 2018Seniors enjoy reading about the news also from the Czech Republic. This study text is about a new film about villa Tugendhat which is planned for the spring of 2019. Let’s read more about it.
Pretty Yende: An Opera Star From Africa
17. 9. 2018Seniors love opera! They enjoy going to a concert or listen to an opera on the radio. Pretty Yende is a young opera singer who loves Antonín Dvořák and his opera Rusalka. Let’s read more about her.
Two Homes With a Nice Garden
10. 9. 2018Seniors love gardening! This study text describes two homes with a nice garden in England. I also projected lovely photos of these two homes with gardens. Let’s read more about it.
Is Moderate Drinking Risky?
3. 9. 2018Drinking alcohol is a good topic to discuss among seniors. In their free time many of them enjoy drinking a glass of wine, a glass of beer. Let’s read an interesting survey about drinking alcohol. The U.K. is included on the list.
Famous Dancer and a Famous Singer
29. 6. 2018Last English lesson was very special with a musical programme. The two musical interpreters who made the class different were Michael Flatley and Dionne Warwick. Let’s read what was going on in the class.
The Pros and Cons of Sous-Vide Cooking
18. 6. 2018My elderly love cooking. It’s the most favourite activity for them during their leisure time in their retirement. Sous-vide cooking method is something what many of them haven’t heard of it.
Scientists Look for Loch Ness Monster
11. 6. 2018Animals, mysteries and further curiosities from English speaking countries also catch my seniors‘ eyes. Let’s have a look and read more about the Loch Ness Monster. The historical background is a must for my elderly.
Boston Tea Party: Coffee Chain Stops Using Disposable Cups
4. 6. 2018Coffee is always a good topic for the elderly. They love drinking coffee and going to a sweetshop. The worldwide hot topic is also how to eliminate plastic. Let’s look how this problem was solved out by one British café.
Cheese Rolling in Gloucestershire
25. 5. 2018I also keep an eye on interesting holidays from English speaking countries. One of which is for example „Cheese Rolling in Gloucestershire, in England. Let’s have a look what this contest is about.
Beavers in Scotland
25. 5. 2018My students like reading about nature and animals. This article is about beavers in Scotland. It is interesting from historical point of view and also from today’s point of view.
Homes of the Richest Americans
25. 5. 2018Let’s take a peek how the richest Americans live. You will get to know about their worths, about their neighbours and about their jobs. The photos and videos were found and projected by the teacher in the class.
4. 5. 2018These are a couple of fun facts that may broaden your horizons. Read more for example about why we use „mayday“ or why women have buttons on the left or why zero scores in tennis are called „love“.
The Amish in America
27. 4. 2018The elderly enjoy reading about interesting topics referring to English speaking countries which one of these is „The Amish in America“. This is the community which enjoys natural way of living. Let’s read more about it just here!
Royal Wedding: Prince Harry + Meghan Markle
18. 4. 2018The royal wedding is hot topic nowadays. So why doesn’t talk about it in the classes of seniors? It is upcoming news and many of my students are interested in this worldwide stunning event.
Reasons to Learn Piano
18. 4. 2018Some of my students love to learn piano. Also my students‘ children or grandchildren love to play the piano. So it’s a good topic to discuss it. The fresh article says „Why it is good to learn piano“.
Fashion Design by Matty Bovan
9. 4. 2018This article is about one young British designer, Matty Bovan. Also fashion is a grateful topic for seniors. Especially ladies, attending my courses, love fashion. They are dressed up and look fabulous! Read more about Matty Bovan.
Easter in America and England
2. 4. 2018It’s always rewarding to have an Easter topic on Easter for my students. This year we talked about Easter in America and England. The article depicts real people’s experiences. Students also received a chocolate egg from the teachers.
26. 3. 2018Seniors love to travel. The article about Ancient Mapmaking refers to its history and interesting facts about how maps looked like in past and which kind of people used to buy maps with many decorations mapping illustrations of fantasy better than real illustrations.
Exhibition: Maria Lassnig
19. 3. 2018From time to time I inform my students with up-to-date cultural events such as for example the exhibition about the artist Maria Lassnig. She also lived in New York. Her exhibition takes place at Trade Fair Palace (Veletržní palác) until 17 June 2018.
Gin Production in Wales
14. 3. 2018Alcohol is always a good topic to its discussion in the classes. This depicts an incrising gin popularity in Wales. Nowadays it’s a very fashionable drink, too. Some seniors brought into the classes a fitting refreshment.
The Oscars: A Brief History
6. 3. 2018The topic is very attracting because it is watched not only by the elderly but also by all age people. This contains an interesting history about the Oscars. The official ceremony was announced on March 4th.
Fun Facts about Queen Elizabeth II.
2. 3. 2018This monarchy is very popular among seniors. Many of them have visited London and Buckingham Palace. The article is about the Queen’s juicy details. This year she will be 92 years old. Read more just here!
Billy Budd – the British opera in the National Theatre
19. 2. 2018Seniors love going to cultural events. One of them is an opera. Billy Budd is the first British played opera in Prague! I invite my students to go and see it. It will be on this April in the National Theatre.
Birdsong and Human Language
16. 2. 2018Many seniors keep pets. They also love animals and birds. This topic describes the similarities between birds and humans. To its great surprise there is no ancestor of birds and humans that made a song.
Do smartphones cause damage to children?
5. 2. 2018I also try to have seniors keep the pace with time. Smartphones are the hot topic nowadays in IT equipment. Many seniors use them, too. But what is said about smartphones towards children and grandchildren?
Prague’s Second Astronomical Clock
26. 1. 2018Seniors love reading about history. Also a history of Prague is a gratful topic to talk about. Let’s read more interesting facts about the astronomical clocks in Prague.
Burns Night – Scotland
20. 1. 2018On January 25th Scotland celebrates Burns Night. We read a very interesting article and the students were refreshed with an original Scottish biscuit. We also watched 3 videos about the music of bagpipes, traditional Scottish song and the haggis.
Margaret Thatcher refused to fly with a panda
10. 1. 2018The elderly enjoy reading about famous personalities such as for example Margaret Thatcher. The article has recently appeared in the news and points out why Thatcher refused to fly with a panda.
Lack of sleep is toxic and will eventually kill you
8. 1. 2018Lack of sleep can cause many health problems. The article points out why sleep is very important. Seniors got to know something fresh again. Read more about importance of sleep just here!
What is TCM?
2. 1. 2018TCM is Traditional Chinese Medicine. As some elderly are interested in alternative medicine, we had an interesting discussion about it. The article provides students with new and fresh information.
The History of Christmas Cards
23. 12. 2017The elderly like history. For Christmas this year I’ve chosen the topic „The history of Christmas cards“. Let’s read more about it here.
TESLA is making another roadster
11. 12. 2017This topic is about TESLA’s amazing new sports car. Besides TESLA was the first electrical engineering company in Czechoslovakia in 1921 and still operates in Prague 9. Read more about it here!
Sex and seniors
11. 12. 2017This topic is unusual but not taboo anymore for the elderly. It diversifies English lesson texts and makes the elderly cheerful. They had fun and enjoyed reading. Read it entirely, too!
American pension vs. European pension
24. 11. 2017The elderly are interested in pensions abroad. Interesting comparison between American pension and European pension you’ll find just here.
Robots for senior citizens?
20. 11. 2017The global population of the elderly is growing fast. Japan is dealing with this problem in its own way. Let’s read more about robots for senior citizens in Japan. I think it’s just weird but true.
How to cook what
17. 11. 2017The elderly love to cook. The article „How to cook what“ is about the basic cooking methods and the main dishes which you can cook. We discussed this topic in the class and students picked the questions.
Jarmila Kalašová, 90 y.o. painter
7. 11. 2017My senior citizens like art. No matter if it’s applied or contemporary art, figurative or impressionist art, photographing, sculpture or just painting. They love going to galleries, museums, exhibitions etc. Read about Jarmila Kalašová, the painter.
Travel with Grandchildren
30. 10. 2017Travel with grandchildren is a hot topic among seniors. What is better: To travel with grandchildren’s parents or without them? Read an interesting article with suggestions just here. Suitable for Intermediate level.
Hobbies to wrap your heart around
23. 10. 2017One of the most popular activity among seniors in their leisure time is taking care of their grandchildren. A nice up-to-date article was adapted by the native speaker also for my students. Which kind of hobbies do women over 50 have in the world? Read here!
Graffiti – Move over, Banksy
16. 10. 2017The article is about Graffiti that is popular among seniors in Lisbon. One of my great students, Jitka, visited Lisbon and showed us the lovely photos of graffiti of big sizes in the class, likewise. Read more about this program just here!
Czech domestic life
25. 9. 2017The article Czech domestic life reflects customs and culture in the Czech Republic. Good to read how we are judged and presented to foreigners.
Too late to save on energy?
20. 9. 2017Seniors are forced to save money in their retirement. Therefore it’s a good topic to talk about with seniors. Let’s read an interesting article about how to save money on energy.
Tasty Roasted Pork
16. 9. 2017My seniors like cooking. This week the recipe Tasty Roasted Pork was on. We also learned the parts of pig from the picture. So if they go to the butcher’s in English speaking country, they will know how to ask for what. Students also shared their own recipes.
Gifted hands shops for you
11. 9. 2017Gifted Hands shops for you is an article about a private care service helping seniors in the USA. First, students read and translated the article at home. Second we talked about it in the class and students replied to the questions.
2. 9. 2017Kevin Mactavish, the USA native speaker, adapted an up-to-date text from media called Womens work for each English level. Prague’s female garbage truck driver flew round Prague.
13. 6. 2017Strawberry season is here! When did they come up? What do they contain? Which way are good for our health? How to make a delicious strawberry smoothie? Read just now.
Healing of Plant Oils
12. 6. 2017My students like to discuss topics that refer to gardening, cooking, health etc. One of the topics that I chose for my students is „Healing of plant oils“. Let’s read what healing effects plant oils have on our body.
Marijuana’s health effects
5. 6. 2017Marijuana’s effect on health care is also positive. I shared an interesting up-to-date study by scientists with my students. The Seniorific News was my inspiring American newspaper.
Drink more water!
25. 5. 2017According to scientists seniors should drink more water. What problems they fight with at an older age, a modified article tailored for each language level from the newspapers Seniorific says just here.
Trekking with beet juice
25. 5. 2017As seniors like going to the mountains no matter it is walking, hiking or trekking, I prepared a short text tailored for each language level about trekking with beet juice in cooperation with my colleague. Have a look what it says.
12. 5. 2017Laughter is a strong medicine and for elderly people it makes double true. I shared an interesting article about „LAUGH!“ with other seniors. Let’s have a look what laughing can help, what is the World Laughter Day about and who arranged it.
Gardening in UK
9. 5. 2017Seniors like gardening. Many of them do gardening at the cottages or at the houses. Due to this popular hobby among elderly people, in cooperation with my cooperating teacher, Vlaďka, I distributed the text about gardening in UK.
Why should you exercise?
27. 4. 2017One of my students, Peggy, from Advanced Level visited her family member in Australia. After she had come back to the class, she lent me the Australian newspaper for seniors. I found there an interesting article „Why should you exercise?“
How many hours should seniors sleep?
24. 4. 2017There was a recent survey about how many hours seniors should sleep that I read in the USA Newspaper focused on seniors. I shared the info with others.
13. 4. 2017Easter is coming and my English lesson was partly dedicated to this holiday. Seniors love to bake lamb, Easter bread or decorate eggs. Let’s have a look what the tailored distributed text was about.
Shopping malls for seniors
3. 4. 2017Seniors like to do shopping no matter if it’s at home or abroad. Therefore I made up a topic „Shopping malls for seniors“. The topic was created via online media with hot news of Marks and Spencer and Macy’s.
Our brains change as we age
27. 3. 2017I was inspired by one interesting article in the Magazine Drive about „Our brains change as we age“. I tailored this topic for each level of English separate. Seniors enjoyed reading it and fun discussion opened.
LENT – time before Easter
20. 3. 2017One topic that was included in the lesson was the time before Easter called „LENT“. Some of the students observe LENT, while others only know the word. I shared with them further interesting information. Here you go.
Nikola Tesla – Lord of Electricity
2. 3. 2017My students asked me to read something about Nikola Tesla, the Lord of Electricity. I think this personality has such a huge impact on our lives that he is worth noticing.
Bábovka and the best cakes in London
20. 2. 2017Jarka baked bábovka for welcome party of opening a new classroom. She asked me the question „how is it with bábovka in English speaking countries“? And a new topic was in the world.
8. 2. 2017One of my students from False Beginner Level inspired me with her favourite winter sport „Figure Skating“. So I decided to put it into the English lesson and have students talk about it.
How to be polite in English
1. 2. 2017I reshaped the text „How to be polite in English“ and tailored it for my students for every level of English. It’s always good to know the British manners within my English course. Students appreciated it and laughed.
Eat these 5 foods in winter
27. 1. 2017Let’s take a closer look at some of the recommendations about what to eat in winter to stay healthy. I tailored the text for each different level of English and got inspired by Cleveland Clinic online magazine.
Goblin and Dwarf and legend…
10. 1. 2017One day, the student came to me and ask me about the difference between a goblin and a dwarf. I regard it as an interesting topic for others. I prepared the text with historical background tailored for each different language level. Here you go.
Maya Angelou and her quote in Hangman
15. 12. 2016Maya Angelou, primarily a famous American poet, was recommended to me by the native speaker, Rachel Hacker, who joined our classes. Let’s read who it was and what her quote was in Hangman.
No age is too old to go back to school
10. 12. 2016I received the newspaper „The Seniorific News“ from the U.S.A. from my darling student Eva. We read about „No age is too old to go back to school“…
Thanksgiving Holiday by the New Yorker, Stuart Carapola
24. 11. 2016Thanksgiving Holiday was on presented by Stuart Carapola’s eyes who comes from New York
Medical Appointment – Old Sick Carlos
14. 11. 2016The Autumn is the season when people get sick. Medical Appointment is a short and funny article about one old sick Carlos. That way we practised vocabulary and expressions to health.
Halloween – the Holiday for English Speaking Countries
31. 10. 2016Halloween is the holiday for English speaking countries and we read an absorbing text and talked about it in the classes.
Keep calm…worldwide slogan
30. 9. 2016Keep calm and…is the worldwide slogan. I received the notebook as a gift with the cover slogan from my student Draja who spends sometimes her free time in London and who inspired me to find more about it.
Mayday! Why is it used for S.O.S.?
21. 9. 2016Students were curious why the word „MayDay“ is used for S.O.S. although it is the word primarily used for the Labour Day celebrated on Sept. 1st everywhere in the world besides the U.S.A. I found out…
Labor Day in the USA
5. 9. 2016Labor Day in the USA is celebrated the 1st Monday in September. Let’s take a look why it is celebrated in September and not in May which is common for the rest of the world and more just read about it here.
MEMORIAL DAY – Federal Holiday in USA
30. 5. 2016Memorial Day is a federal holiday in USA celebrated on May 30th. It was on for my students of intermediate level who came to the class just on 30.5.
Čaj Earl Grey – proč se tak jmenuje? Zajímalo studenty…
27. 5. 2016Začátečníky zajímalo, proč se čaj Earl Grey tak jmenuje. Vypátrala jsem z několika důvěryhodných online mezinárodních zdrojů a podělila se o nový poznatek se studenty.
FROZEN – Ledové království
11. 5. 2016In cooperation with a New Yorker, Stuart Carapola, I shared with my students the text and video shot about FROZEN that is popular among American children nowadays and can be an inspiration for grandparents and their grandchildren here.